Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 small chile, seeded and minced
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed 58
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups salsa
- 8 large flour tortillas
- Cheese for top
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Put the sweet potatoes on a lightly oiled baking sheet in a
single layer and roast for 20 minutes, turning once, until they’re tender. Remove
from oven and set aside.
2. Turn oven down to 350F. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add
garlic and chile and cook about 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until fragrant. Add
beans, tomatoes, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Add cooked sweet
potatoes and simmer mixture 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. Spread a thin layer of salsa on the bottom of a lightly oiled 9 x 13-inch baking
dish and set aside.
4. Place a tortilla on a flat work surface, spoon a portion of the sweet potato
mixture down the center of it and roll it up. Place the filled enchilada in the baking
dish with the seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas and sweet potato
mixture. If there’s any filling left over, spoon it on top of the enchiladas, then top
with remaining salsa and sprinkle with cheese.
5. Cover and bake until casserole is hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serve